Annons:
Tag:ย injury-prevention
Read 2215 times
Evelina
2018-05-03 22:52

Yoga/Exercises For Torn Abdominal Muscle

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

I Tore My Abdominal Muscle From Coughing

So, I think I am getting old. As the years keep passing, I find that it is easier to injure myself! Laughing out loud

I got a cold about a month ago maybe. I can't remember but it has been awhile. That resulted in a lung infection and a cough that I just can't seem to kick. Basically, I have been coughing so much, on Saturday, I woke up to a torn muscle in my abdomen. I had no idea what it was or what happened. I called the nurse and she said that it is most likely a torn abdomen and to rest and buy some cough medicine. ๐Ÿ˜“

Now its been around a month and I've been out of doing any exercise including yoga! I'm going crazy since I actually feel better now. My cold is gone, but I can't move without my stomach muscle in pain and cramping. I have found some some exercises, besides taking walks in the nature, that I wanted to share with you all. You can even do these while watching tv. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cobra

The cobra is a Yoga pose designed to stretch your abdominal muscles. Lie on your stomach with your hands positioned directly below your shoulders with your elbows close to your sides. Take in a deep breath. As you exhale, slowly push yourself up with your hands so that your shoulders are off the ground, while keeping your hips and legs in contact with the ground. Keeping your back, glutes, and legs relaxed, hold the stretch for 20 seconds. With control, lower back to the floor. Repeat the exercise three times, twice a day.

Pelvic Tilt

Perform the pelvic tilt exercise to gently regain strength in your torn abdominal muscle. Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Contract your abdominal muscles and press your lower back into the floor. Hold this position for five seconds and then relax. Complete three sets of 10 repetitions.

Dead Bug

Lie on your back with your knees bent, arms at your sides, and feet flat on the floor. Draw in your abdomen and tighten your abdominal muscles. While keeping your abdominal muscles tight and knees bent, lift one leg several inches off the floor, hold for 5 seconds, and then lower it. Repeat this exercise with the opposite leg. Then lift your arm over your head, hold for 5 seconds, and then lower it. Repeat with the opposite arm. Do 5 repetitions with each leg and arm.

Once this exercise gets easy, raise one leg and the opposite arm together. Hold for 5 seconds. Lower your arm and leg and raise the opposite arm and leg up and hold for 5 seconds. Do 3 sets of 5 repetitions.

Partial Curl

The partial curl will strengthen your upper abdominal muscles. Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor. Keeping your arms straight to the front, tuck your chin toward your chest and curl your upper body forward until your shoulders come off the floor. Continue to breathe regularly while holding the curl position for three seconds. Slowly lower back to the floor. Perform three sets of 10 reps.

Diagonal Curl

Once you can comfortably perform a partial curl, begin practicing the diagonal curl to strengthen your oblique muscles. Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Clasp your hands behind your neck to Support your head. Contract your stomach muscles and lift your head and shoulders off the ground while twisting your torso to the right. Hold here for three seconds and then return to the starting position. Repeat the diagonal curl to your left. Complete three sets of 10 curls per side.

Alternating Leg Raise

The alternating leg raise exercise will strengthen your lower abdominal muscles. Lie on your back with your legs raised and bent so that your shins are parallel with the floor. Contract your abdominal muscles and press your lower back into the floor. Maintaining this position, slowly straighten your right leg and lower it toward the floor and then bring it back to the starting position. Repeat the movement with your left leg. Continue to alternate legs until you have completed 10 reps with each leg. Perform three sets of this exercise.

Side Plank

Lie on your side with your legs, hips, and shoulders in a straight line. Prop yourself up onto your forearm with your elbow directly under your shoulder. Lift your hips off the floor and balance on your forearm and the outside of your foot. Try to hold this position for 15 seconds and then slowly lower your hip to the ground. Switch sides and repeat. Work up to holding for 1 minute. This exercise can be made easier by starting with your knees and hips flexed toward your chest.

Annons:
Leia
2018-05-04 19:04

I'll keep this in mind if I ever tear a muscle, hopefully, I won't need to! Hope you feel better soon Evelina Heart

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Evelina
2018-05-04 20:37

These exercises are great to build abdominal muscles in general! So you must do them to prevent from future muscle tears. Its also a good prevention for hernias. A hernia can happen from lifting something heavy or even coughing. ๐Ÿ˜ Thank you Leia!

Scroll to top
Annons:
ย