We tend to sweat a lot during our hot yoga practises, leaving the yoga mat soaked with sweat. So how do you get your yoga mat clean afterwards?
Yoga studios, and yoga stores often sell yoga mat cleaning products, which are typically expensive and filled with chemicals. It's going to save you money, keep your mat happier and you healthier too, by just cleaning your yoga mat the natural way!
A lot of the online natural cleaning methods for yoga mats are interesting. They often recommend different kinds of essential oils, and special soaps. Essential oils are totally fine when diluted heavily; however, they can make your mat deteriorate faster since they are so strong.
What you'll need:
Water & Vinegar.
Vinegar is antibacterial and inexpensive, making it the perfect ingredient for cleaning.
How to Clean Your Yoga Mat Naturally:
Yoga Mat Bath
1. Spray yoga mat down if you can.
2. Fill up your bathtub with enough water to cover your yoga mat. Add 1 to 2 cups vinegar.
3. Let soak for just an hour.
4. Take it out and let it air dry (usually drys overnight).
Vinegar Water Spray:
1. Depending on the size of your water bottle; mix 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water.
2. Spray yoga mat briefly after yoga sessions.
If you're wondering about the smell, it will go away as it dries, and if it doesn't that means you used too much vinegar. Essential oils help cover up the smell if you really can't stand it.